RE:Battery Disconnect Question

Kevin,

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:00:49 -0800
From: kielyk@domain.elided
Subject: Battery Disconnect Question
Just a quick question about disconnecting and reconnecting batteries when
working on the BMW's.
When disconnecting the battery which post is best removed first?
Then when reconnecting which post is best connected first?
By best, I mean least egregious to the electronics in the car.
- -Kevin

It is best to disconnect the battery ground terminal first and re-connect
it last.
This will prevent shorting the positive terminal to ground while loosening
the terminal with a wrench.

I also suggest that the period of time the main battery is disconnected be
kept to a minimum. The NiCad batteries in the Service Indicator will be
discharging while the main battery is disconnected. (I don't have any
information on the discharge rate.  However as NiCads age there capacity is
reduced) If the NiCads are subjected to a deep discharge they may not
recharge when the main battery is re-connected.  This is most common with
NiCads that have been in service for a number of years.  To solve the
failed NiCads problem you will need to install new NiCads to repair the
dysfunctional Service Indicator.
- ----
Rodney Moore
e-mail: m6bigdog@domain.elided