Back up light?

M3 has no back up lights.  Plenty of current at lights.  Lights come on
when direct wired.  Reverse switch works when removed from transmission.
Switch doesn't work when installed.  Apparently, accuating plunger is not
long enough to get depressed when reverse is engaged.  (At least that's
what I assume is going on.)  Switch appears to be standard reverse light
switch.

Was there a special switch for early E30 M3 transmissions, one that
extended deeper into transmission housing?

Obviously, I can and have been living with this for some time, but NM
drivers in parking lots are terrible.  I'd like to give them all of the
warning that I can.

TIA.
Bruce McReynolds
Santa Fe - the City Different - NM