<e28> Power Locks, Current Drain and Spring/Shock Combinations

<HTML>
Allsteel writes:
<P>Over the last day or so, I have seen two postings on E28's that with
no
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>Over the last day or so, I have seen two postings on E28's that with no
response.&nbsp; I'm&nbsp; awaiting comments from the digest collective as "old reliable"
(87 535i) is acting up in the same manner.&nbsp; Trust me, winter in Chicago is
fun!

1.&nbsp; Power Locks.&nbsp; When attempting to lock my doors.&nbsp; The the doors and trunk
lock properly and then unlock themselves.&nbsp; Any ideas?</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Obviously a problem with the central locking system.&nbsp; I would remove
the door panel and lubricate the mechanism with a light oil or litium grease.&nbsp;
It appears that the contacts might be sticking.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>

2.&nbsp; Current Drain.&nbsp; If I let my car sit more than 1 day the battery goes flat
and I am unable to start.&nbsp; The problem is worse now that the temps. have
fallen to below 10 degrees at night.&nbsp; What is the proper diagnositc
proceedure.
</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Take you battery to a local auto parts store and have them test it (free).&nbsp;
If the battery is two or three years old replace it with a comparable one.&nbsp;
If the battery is fine then you can start to look at the charging system
or search for a current drain somewhere else, like the trunk light remaining
on or your dome light or glove box light remaining on after shutdown.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>
3.&nbsp; Spring/Shock Combinations.&nbsp; I purchased my car with a set of RD springs
and Boge Gas shocks as installed by the previous owner.&nbsp; The combination has
about 45K miles on it.&nbsp; I have been driving on the combination for about 15k
miles.&nbsp; The springs seem tobe about right for the car (firmer than stock yet
not too stiff and about 1.25 inches lower all around).&nbsp; However, the shocks
appear to weak in this application.&nbsp; At about 40 to 60 miles per hour on
broken pavement the front end bounces in a very disconcerting fashion. To me
this indicates a lack of rebound control.&nbsp; The performance on larger bumps is
ok (I would prefer it just a bit firmer).&nbsp; Perhaps the shocks are just worn
out?&nbsp; I am considering new Boge's, The Sachs sport kit with matched springs
and shocks ($$$). Bilsteins or Koni's.&nbsp; I know this thread has been ongoing
for a long time but I have not yet seen anything very definitive. I am
considering making a chart of the various spring and shock specs. so we could
choose "by the numbers"&nbsp; rather than guess just based on qualitative comments.
Does anyone have other ideas?

</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Many have done the "charts" for comparison.&nbsp; Both the tire rack and
discount auto have charts regarding the aggressiveness of various packages.&nbsp;
However, it appears to me that you have reached the life of your boge shocks.&nbsp;
I would recommend HD bilsteins as they will last twice as long and will
give you the driving pleasure you need from your car.&nbsp; I have done
the procedure in the garage and with some patience and a spring compressor
it can be done.&nbsp; I guess this is a job that I would willingly pay
someone to accomplish if I wasn't both paranoid about someone else working
on my car and possesed the cash to do it.&nbsp; Bilstein will have a special
or appropriate shock to allow you to get the most out of your RD springs,
which should last a good while longer.
<P>Best regards,
<P>Tom Jarlock
<BR>88 535ia, 170,000