Re: bmw-digest V9 #785

Some of you may not realise and might want to know the following:

The year 2000 will be the last year of the century - 2001 will be the first
of the next .

Just think - the first year was called 1AD, therefore at the *end* of 1AD
one year had passed. So, therfore and the END of 2000, two milleniums will
have pased. When we started counting the years from AD we started at 1 and
not 0.

0 is defined as a point midway between the two years 1BC and 1AD.

So, for example, the last christmas of the 20th Century will be on December
25th 2000 NOT 1999 as most would expect (including me until a question I was
asked raised a little doubt).

The whole world will celebrate the end of 1999 years since the death of
Jesus (the point defined as 0) instead of 2000 years they think they will be
celebrating.

No flames please, That's just what I think, and the logic seems to be
perfect. If you want to discuss it with me I would prefer not to fill the
digest with a new thread about it email me at allanw@domain.elided

Allan Williams