The Y2K crisis

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am fairly confident that my 87 325
has no clue what the date and or time is with the exception of the da*n
onboard computer that thinks it's about time for George Michael to break
away from Wham.  I am not flaming anyone in particular, however, I would be
cautious of all the Y2K scares that will be going around this year.  Like
"Your microwave will cook your children!"  or that the economy is going to
fail.  In most situations the only side effect of Y2K will be a bunch of
emails being sent from January 4th 1980 and the likes.  As far as ecu's and
whatnot, since you can remove the battery from your car at any given time,
any function that NEEDS the current date will need to be accessible for
setting and backed up by a battery (or Flash Ram/EEPROM?)  I have looked
inside the ecu in my 87 (thanks Jim C) and to the best of my recollection
there isn't a battery (I guess there could be flash or EEPROM, not likely).
Since George Orwell's 1984 didn't quite pan out and 1999 looks like work as
usual contrary to the lyrics of the late Prince, I am crossing my fingers
that by 2001 we will have cool computers that can pilot an spacecraft around
looking for drifting bricks.