RE: E34 Stereo Amp Suggestions

I would strongly advise against a bass tube. I've sold home hifi for
several years and dabbled a lot in car hifi, owning several bass tubes.
I've never liked the sound of a non-sealed subwoofer.

Compared to a sealed box, bass tubes are fatter, less precise, and bloated
sounding. They are, however, a bit louder and more boomy, if that's what
you want. I listened to over 20 subs before making my choice.

For my $, I like the Kicker solobaric in a sealed box. Easy to power, small
enough, and what a sound! You can follow the bass line on a guitar,
distinguish kettle drums from other drums, and the bass is much quicker.
Crutchfield sells the solobaric w/ box for about $275 (10" version). You
need an amp with a built in cross over (or low pass filter) or, like me, by
a separate electronic cross over (about $75) with a 12 db bass boost. Very
nice, and I listen to everything except hard core rap (Beastie Boys don't
count).

- -Dave Green