Washer fluid smell!!

Hi All!

I have a quick question...I've had my first BMW for about three weeks
(Luv'in it!), but if I have the defrost on when I spray windshield
washer fluid, the smell comes right in my face!  It is as if I were
spraying the fluid directly inside instead of on the the outside.  I
can't believe that BMW designed the intake of the HVAC near an area
where windshield washer fluid would drain, but this is crazy!  I am
assuming that I have a failed whatever, and could use the digest's help
in figuring this one out.

TIA,
Bill Heise
92' 325i  Woo! Hoo!