Oil temp vs Water temp.

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>From: Chester Wong <chester_p_wong@domain.elided>
Subject: Oil Temp & Pressure
  I see a coolant temp gauge on my '99 M3 and was wondering
if this is the temp of the coolant or is it an oil temp gauge?  Also,
which would warm up faster, oil temp or coolant?  It's pretty cold in
NY and I go very lightly on the gas until the engine fully warms up. =

However, I wouldn't want to go by the coolant gauge if it was giving
me a false sense that the engine was warmed up when it was not. =

Chester, =

water temp is pretty quick.  (maybe 2 or 3 miles) but oil temp may take 1=
0
miles to get to operating =

temp   (around 160 to 180F)     If you want a ball park, see how long it
takes to get your water to op temp.
then just double the time before you start beating on your machine.

Cheers,

Mark Kibort
innoventions.org    (check out the website for the latest Import tuner
magazine bolt-on comparisons)
click on the e-RAM and then go to "the truth about bolt on HP)