Y2K issue

(Stepping up on my Y2K-compliant soapbox...)

Well guys, I can't stand it any more. The proliferation of Y2K-mania and
hype has gotten to be too much. As a mainframe database programmer with
over 20 years of experience coding COBOL programs, and having managed 3
separate Y2K "conversion" projects in the last 2 years, it is way past
time to put this issue to rest. No problems will surface in ANY piece of
hardware, be it microwave, vcr, automobile, home alarm system, etc., as
long as the offending article doesn't do any CALCULATIONS with the date,
and then only if it involves the year portion of the date. The media, as
well as some other rather surly, uninformed types, has played this issue
into oblivion. My mother-in-law(bless her 63-year-old heart) has been
watching the local news in Cleveland, Ohio, and reports that they even
have a Y2K segment on their nightly news, advising people to stock up on
food, water, etc. RIDICULOUS!!!

Believe me, banks will still function, water, gas, electricity will
still flow, supermarkets will still have food, i.e., THE WORLD WILL NOT
END on 1-1-2000. So let's not worry about our cars for this reason. No
vehicle in existence, old or new, should have any software anywhere
on/in it(Jim C. chips included), that cares what the date is.

Sorry for the WOB, but this issue gets brought up every day in my job,
and even though I get $60+ per hour to "remediate" old code for Y2K
issues, I'm sick of all the hoopla.

(Stepping down off my Y2K-compliant soapbox,  which is also completely
non-flammable)

Jerry Roberson
BMW CCA 157891
1975 2002--doesn't even have a clock