Re: BMWCCA Part discount

WyldBil325@domain.elided asked about getting a discount on his parts from his
local dealer, who apparently laughs at him when he asks.   Bill, I get the
same reaction from my local dealer.   I guess they figure that since we are
local and don't have much choice for parts, they can do that.   And
technically, charging retail is not illegal.   However, there are enough
dealers and shops that will sell us OEM parts at a discount that if I'm not
in a hurry and spending enough to make it worth while, I'll do the
mail-order thing.

Speaking of getting reamed on parts, last year I went to buy a new
distributor cap and router for my E28 M5.   Bav Auto had it for 55, the
dealer was 70'ish, so I went to my local foreign auto parts store to try
him.   The same Bosch part from him was 82.   I explained to him that I
could get it at the dealer cheaper and he didn't believe me (nor would he
lower the price).   I asked my mechanic about it later, and he said that
the price of Bosch parts can vary greatly, depending on the phase of the
moon and other esoteric phenomenon    I ended up getting it from another
dealership (mail-order) for 48 or so, along with a bunch of other stuff.
But Bav had the best price for a set of ignition wires (which are about
$530 retail OEM, no kidding!) so it always pays to shop.

But, I think we should always try to patronize local companies whenever
possible to reward them for being, you know, local.   Convenient.
(Whenever possible means when it's not outrageously expensive.)

And that's all that I have to say about that.   For now.

Michael