Re: bmw-digest V9 #777

In a message dated 1/3/99 8:05:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I own a 88 M6. About two years, I bought a set of
 OZ Mito Modular wheels 17" x 8.5" with  a set of
 Dunlop 8000 235/45x17" tires from Tire Rack.

 I am not sure of the off-set of the wheels.

 I wanted 245/45 x17" tires but they said the largest
 tires I could use was the 235/45x17, according to
 some literature they had..

 The 245s are only .4" wider than the 235s, which =

 is only .2" wider on each side of the rim.

 I feel the 245s would look better, give the rims
 a little more protection from curbs and might even
 feel/handle better too. =

 Also, I want the front & rear wheels & tires the same size,
 so I can rotate the wheels.

 Does anyone know for sure if the 245s would fit on
 my M6 without any clearance problems?

 If you have any info on this subject, please e-mail me.

 Thank you,

 Dennis Logan

Dennis,

I don't own an M6 or even a 6 series but i've heard of owners running 255s
with a mild fender roll.  245s are no problem with no mods as long as the
offset is OK.  Heck, I fitted 235s into my E30 M3.  I KNOW the M6 has bigger
wheel wells.  Also, the stock tire size is 240/45R415.  An extra 5 mm will
definitely fit...  Make sure your tire guys know that...  But really the
critical factor is offset.

Rob
89 M3