New BMW owner, new Web page

I'd like to open this note by saying thanks to everyone on this list. I've
been
reading the list for a while via the ftp archive (to keep my email from being
overwhelmed), and I found your comments to be very valuable to me while I was
trying to decide what kind of car to buy.

As you may have surmised from the subject of this message, I "did the right
thing" and bought a BMW: a 1999 540i automatic with the Sport package. I took
advantage of the European Delivery program  and took my first trip back to
Germany since I was stationed there in the USAF back in the early '80s. I left
USAF in 1985 and haven't wanted to go back to that, but I've always wanted to

Both the trip and the car were magnificent, despite bad weather that kept me
from driving as fast as I wanted to as much as I wanted to. After the
1,200-mile
breakin period was over, I only had maybe a dozen opportunities to explore the
upper reaches of the speedometer, but I made the most of them.

A page on my Web site, http://www.ideaphile.com/photography/germany, includes
photos of my new car and other points of interest on the trip, as well as a
couple of QuickTime videos. One shows the speedometer of my 540i edging a
little
bit past 155 mph, just in case anyone's curious what that looks like. :-)

Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be posting to this list from time to time once
my car arrives in the US in late January.

.                png