Broken Mirror

<<Hello fellow digesters.  Just while I was reading the latest message,
a call came in from security notifying me that someone hit my car in
the parking lot while at work.  Sure enough, it was a sport utility
vehicle.  Ugh.  Well, his door knocked my '99 M3 mirror right
off...and now there are scratches on the door and mirror and more
importantly, the mirror doesn't go up and down.  To think that I just
picked up the car a week and a half ago!!!!<<

Since your BMW is relatively  new, you are owed for a new mirror and new
paint job on that panel with the scratches. Insurance laws and
principles require that you be "indemnified" for your loss Under your
policy of insurance, meaning you must be made whole. Since there is no
wear or usage factor to consider, that means new or if someone wants to
get technical, a mirror that's 1 1/2 week old. This law and principle
applies to the responsible party liability to you, as well. If the other
party has insurance, see if your insurance will waive your deductible
under your policy since they will go after the responsible party to
include your deductible portion.
Insist on replacement of mirror and if scratch is to metal insist on
repainting the entire panel like new.
BTW, I've worked in insurance claims for over 20 yrs.
Henry