Tourings (E34)

I've had my 92 touring for 2 years / 40k so far. Here's the list
- - Fuel pumps are history by about 80k, sooner if you run the car to
empty before filling with gas
- -water pumps on early cars are good for similar lifespan
- -93 and later have VANOS, a little smoother and a little more low end
power, cast rods and lower friction pistion rings (i think), don't know
if that'll effect longevity
- -Dual sunroof is very cool, but very expensive to fix if it breaks, like
$2k
- -525 is a little sluggish off the line, but really acceptable
performance on the road (and track, if you dare, it impressed me)
- -competant load hauler, not a cavern in back though. i think it'll haul
nearly 1/2 a ton, if you want to cary gravel or something.
- - I've heard the self leveling suspension in the rear (I guess it was an
option, my car has it) can cause problems. mine has 95k and is doing
fine.
- -responds well to the usual bmw mods, chip, suspension etc, which really
make the car entertaining to drive
- -I had a head gasket leak at 78k, just a slow coolant leak
(surprisingly, right after the sears point drivers school) that probably
would have gotten worse. my extended warranty covered it (did water pump
at same time to be safe)
I really enjoy mine, have no real intention to get rid of it anytime
soon, but would like to supercharge it.....
mike
92 525iT