325ix (E30)/ Won't Start in the Cold

Somebody in cold climates must have encountered cold start problems with
their 325.

On two occasions exactly one year apart, at about 7800 feet in 10 degree
temperatures, my trusty 1989 325ix would not start.  I'm told by my usually
reliable mechanic that some BMW mechanics say that cold starting is a
recurring problem with the 3-series (confirmed by tow truck drivers).
Otherwise the mechanics are stumped.  The car floods so the starting
sequence through the engine management system is injecting too much fuel.
One person known to the list said he had the same problem with his 1989
325ix when it was new, which was fixed under warranty by reducing the fuel
flow at start-up, but he didn't know what the fix was.  Does anyone have
any ideas?

Dan Simmons

Daniel L. Simmons
Professor of Law