Torque Question

Hello, I am new to the digest and to the world of weekend mechanics.  I am
planning to start doing some work on my 525i and in the Bentley's, it refers
to tightening torques.  I know this is probably a basic question, but if
someone could please explain how I can figure out what torque I am putting on
the bolts, that would be very helpful.  How important is it to be exact, what
will happen if I am not, etc.  Do I need a special tool or is my handy ratchet
and wrench set okay?  Thanks in advance

Blake