Jim C S/W Upgrade & Check Engine Light

>I have approximately 1000 miles on my 1996 328ic after getting my computer
>upgraded with Jim C's new software package. On a holiday trip this past
>weekend, my Check Engine light came on and will not extinguish. Vehicle has
>31k miles and has been running great and even better with the new software,
>up to this point!
>I have an appointment at the dealer next week and I have a feeling they will
>be looking at the s/w and may tend to give me grief about the "aftermarket"
>software.

The software upgrade doesn't inhibit or interfere with the dealers
diagnostic tools or procedures.

Your dealer will not be able to detect your software upgrade unless they 1.
drive your car past the disabled speed limiter of approx 140+mph or 2. if
the dealer drives your car to redline in all five gears and notices that
the rev limits are slightly different.  Being a former tech at a BMW dealer
I would have to say that the chances of this happening are highly unlikely
unless there is a mechanic at your dealer who is interested in loosing his
job.  The $100,000 DIS diagnostic tool cannot detect your modification.
Even if you told them that you have a software upgrade and they overwrite
it you can still have it re-written for free through the original Jim C
dealer (I believe that I sold it to you).

>Has anyone run into this problem? If so, any suggestions as what to do to
>get rid of the light and or handle the dealers inquiry as well as prevent
>them from reloading factory s/w thereby negating the great new performance
>and wasting my $500 investment?

The only loss would be time (approx 48hrs down time) and cost of shipping.

Josh
Eurosport
(801) 463 4919