<MISC> re:What kind of cleaner?/Simple Green

Knute suggested:

> Regardless of what kind of wheels you have, I've never found
> anything that works better than Simple Green. Get the wheel wet,
> spray on the Simple Green (let it marinate a minute or two, but not
> in direct sunlight if you can avoid it; you don't want it to dry
> out) then use a soft brush, followed by a thorough rinse.

I agree.  Simple Green is very handy.  I find that it does a good job
taking off the the vinyl fog/film on interior windows when diluted down to
window cleaner level as they suggest on the bottle.  Windex needs multiple
applications to do the same, and that Oily Film cleaner from the Wax Shop
is about as hard to remove from the windows as the fog itself; real pain to
use.

SG will also nicely clean up the remnants of the leaking oil from when the
dealer botches an engine reassembly job.

What it won't do is repel CHP officers driving dangerously fast down city
streets who then issue citations for unpleasant situations that they
contribute to.  First the president, now this.  How many more illusions can
be shattered this year?

> To make it easier to clean your wheels in the future, get them
> really clean (a couple of passes as above, plus use a pressure
> washer for the rinse if you have access to one) and then apply a
> good wax. The wax will not only seal the outer layer against
> oxidation, but it also makes it tougher for the brake dust particles
> to etch into the wheel.
> As many have pointed out in the past, most wheels are painted, so
> you won't be doing yourself any favors by using a truly caustic
> wheel cleaner or abrasive brushes.

Be sure to turn down the wick on that pressure washer.  I've seen them
remove the paint from the wheel along with the crud.

But when it gets right down to it, there's no substitute for just plain
elbow grease.  Get down there with a sponge and the remnants of the car
wash solution and wipe it away by hand.  There are no miracle sprays out
there.  Weak cleaners aren't effective, and strong enough cleaners aren't
something you should be applying to your wheels anyway.

My 0.02

Herman
(venting)