Suggestions wanted

Alright guys, i have a question for you all, and i probably know what the
answer will be, but maybe you can talk me into something else.  I have an
'84 318i w/ 167, almost 168,000 miles, (automatic) and it's time to do
work.  It needs new belts, shocks, brakes, tighten the ball joins, and
anything else that's loose up there.  Although the brakes have a lifetime
warranty, i'd like something better than midas brakes that have to be
cleaned every 6,000 miles and replaced every 12,000 miles.  Also several
other quirks, like no heat, rear defrost works when it wants to, and
rewiring of the stereo will be needed, get the gas guage working 100% of
the time, and accurately, and most important, get the tach working.  Now
i'd be willing to fix all that, but my concern is the engine, and trans.
What is the average life span of both of those.  Car lived on top of a tall
hill for 13 years (top of the world in laguna beach for you guys who know
it) which it went up and down several times a day, and i know that did a
job on the engine on tranny.  Few weeks back, the tranny was making this
loud, almost like a rubbing noise belt, then went away about 2 days later
(with mechanic in the car of course) and has not come back, and it's
shifting smoother, but is the end near?  Also with the engine, burning very
little oil, 1qt every other month, but in acceleration it clicks and
clacks, and it could be a loose vaccum connection, but i suspect it's more.
 How much do you think is left there?  Also, what's the deal with the
timing chain?  I've had the car for about 7 months, probably put $500-$600
work into it (air flow meter, cold start relay, &tc, &tc).  It's in great
shape, no accidents, and only one little ding.  The paint is okay, kinda
scratched up, but nothing noticable from a few feet away.  I'm only 18,
short on cash, so should i fix what i have, hope it goes a while, or fix
the major things, and save for a 325 (late 80's).  Any thought would be
appreciated.  Also, Looking for a bit more bass in the stereo, those boom
tubes any good?  Stereo aready wired for RCA out.

Thanks
- -Jake Abramson
BMW@domain.elided