Won't start

Hapy New Year Everyone....Got a little problem in my 79 320i.  Once in a
while, like once a week(way too often), my baby will refuse to start on m=
e.
 She'll spin, but won't start.  If I keep spinning her for about  three
minutes or so (very rough on battery), she'll start and put out a big old=

white cloud.  Also, she will barely idle for about thirty seconds then th=
cold idle turns on.
        Now, my mechanic has checked the points and such. The says that
there is no problem there.  That's what he thought it was.  He also said =
he
could figure it out if he held onto the car for about a week and a half. =

No can do - daily driver.  Anyone got any tips?  TIA

Kenn Rymdeko
krymdeko@domain.elided
or                  =

kennrymdeko@domain.elided