RE: E36 M3 would look better with a Quad tipped exhaust?

> don't you think that the E36 M3 would look better with a Quad tipped
> exhaust?  i often wonder why it wasn't built with one.  i might be
> drawing fire, but...

1. The M3 muffler is on the left to counter-balance the battery on the
right, which works towards the goals of 50-50% weight distribution,
and low center of gravity (CG).

2. Quad pipe design would most likely add extra weight

Historical note: brake rotors that have been moved away from the wheels and
in to the differential have been tried on some cars.  It helps a lot to reduce
unsprung weight and improve balance and CG.  But this makes the rotors hell to cool,
and I can't imagine how many Rolling Rocks it would take to change pads.

But then, I can't imagine working on a Boxter from the bottom of the car for 90%
of the work required either.

>i think that the weakest part of the car's appearance
> is those wimpy looking pipes  on the left (?) side.  what do you all
> think?

I think it is the interior, but Milo's carbon fiber trim fixed that for me.
On the exterior, it's the water based paint...Duane's the man with his 800-grit
(or was it 1600?) wet sanding job, post-Bambi killer (alledgely, but I heard
it was really a cone killer incident) that he is.

BMW engineers are smart men & women, and they usually have good design reasons,
but the cost accountants do win at times.

- - Skip