radio codes

maybe someone can help me...
I recently purchaxed an 88 325i for my daughter.
in the process of fixing the windlshield wiper switch ( loose ground in
steering column), I had disconnected the battery and now the radio will
not work as it displays code.
now I know a lot of you are laughing but I am new to this make of car so
please ignore my stupidity.....
anyway, I disconnected the battery and tried to initiate the system
again using a slip of paper in the glove box with radio code on it.  5
digit code.  nothing..  the code in the computer is 4 dig.  i presume
they are 2 different things.  have no manuals on the radio.
the anti theft system was working before i did all this, now the anti
theft light does not come on, radio does not come on and car will not
start.  will crank but not start.
hope someone reads this this evening and can help me out.  my daughter
lives about 3 hrs from here and needs to go back on Mon.
Thanks.   Russ Lentz    lencom@domain.elided