Oil Filter Change - E36

Why won't all the old oil drain out of the oil filter housing on my 98
328?  I had to use a turkey baster (thanks, dear...but let's have steak
this Christmas) to get the last few ounces out.  Is that normal, or
might I have a clogged oil pump or something?  It drains out of the
forward hole in the housing, but not the rear hole, which is much
lower.  Thanks!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but couldn't find any help in
all the usual places.

Tom Smith
98 328
10,000 miles is too long to wait for BMW to do it.