<HG> That (darn) bitch of a clip

Bubba Chip has a great idea.  Sharing tips as a holiday gift.  This =
is my contribution.

For those of you that have not yet upgraded to the BL/SS system, you =
have not experienced the =B3Guide Pin=B2 that Ben has affectionately =
named the =B3bitch of a clip=B2.  It is difficult to remove the guide =
pin without first breaking its retaining clip.

First tip: Ron Stygar has an illustration of how to remove it.
View at :    http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/images/shiftc.gif

The reason the guide pin is hard to remove is that there is a flap =
cut from its retaining clip.  The flap pushes against the =
transmission mounting tab and acts like the barb of a fish hook to =
hold it in place.

If you pry the clip up from the barb side, the clip can be removed =
intact.  My problem was that I could not get access to this side of =
the clip due to clearance problems.  Prying the clip up from the =
drivers=B9s (incorrect) side torques the spring steel clip and it =
breaks.

Second tip: When you replace the (new) guide pin, slightly bend the =
little flap back so it doesn=B9t cut so heavily into the mounting =
tab.  The clip installs more easily and it can be removed more easily =
in the future (like when you add the ERK).

Have a happy Holiday Season.

Steve Cooperman
'94 325is, sport pkg, Jim C chip,  M3 exhaust, X-brace, BL/SS, ERK, RK
BMWCCA 151682  Sonora Chapter
Tucson, Arizona