bmw-digest @domain.elided

Hi everybody,
I've got a question I would really like an answer to.
when I start my '87 E30 318 and have the engine running, and then turn
off the engine but keep the egnition on(oil and batt. light
burning)there is a strange noise coming from the engine compartment, it
sounds like a jittering relay or a small electro motor and it stays on
for about 10 seconds, I've tried to locate it but I can't find it.
Also when it's cold it's really hard to start the car, battery power
enough but the engine just doesn't egnit for about two minutes.

Hoping someone has an answer, Martijn ( the netherlands )