Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:36:56 -0500 (EST)
From: "Roger B. Hui" <rbhui@domain.elided>
Subject: Help: Rotten Exhaust Odor

I have an E34 1994 530i, with a persistant rotten exhaust smell.  The
engine (3.0V8) had new block (BMW covered) a few months ago, and the
smell started right after.  The dealer (Patrick of Schaumburg, IL)
claimed the odor comes from the brand of gas used.  I've tried differen=
brands since (Mobil, Shell, Amoco) with no noticable improvement.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

PS.  There is also exhaust gasoline fume from under the hood after the =

engine work.  I am suspecting that the exhaust manifold/gasket is loose=
.
Could these be related?