Question on E36 transmission?

Hi everybody,
I have a 92 E36 325I automatic and the transmission had leaks at 35K miles.
Dealer fixed it and they performed a fluid change at 52K. And around 60K,
the transmission started to make high pitched humming noise from time to
time when shift to P after it has been driven for 30 minutes. I thought it
was caused by heat shield at that time.  Sent it to the dealer at 68K, they
told me the transmission has to be replaced?! I checked the fluid by myself
and looks fine! Drain the fluid and put in Castrol Synthetic Dexon III, the
problem stayed for a few days! Two days ago, we had this icy road condition,
I was stuck in traffic for five hours and had to use the lowest gear to do
engine braking and manually shift if I need to.  The noise problem went away
now!! My question is the problem will be coming back or not? Is there a pump
in there to lubricate all the gears? Manually shifting helps the fluid to go
to gears?
David