Accessing the digest on the road + Hotmail

I.L. Eberhart wrote:
[...]
> Heck, I got one of those 'yahoo.com' addresses so I can get my e-mail from
> anyplace in the world too.
[...]

Try Telnet. Every Windows computer from 3.1 to 95 to 98 has it. With any
dial-up or network internet connection open, simply open
C:\Windows\Telnet.exe. Enter your ISP's domain name. From there I'm
prompted to enter my account name and password. I then hit one button to
enter an internet gateway and type "PINE," which is a text based UNIX
mail program that resides on the ISP's server. your ISP may offer
different programs. I can read and reply to mail, newsgroups, etc on the
road from anywhere in the world. Don't need a browser, don't need a
1-800 number, don't need a temporary account, don't need Hotmail. The
messages are left on the server so you can download them once home
again.

It's a little awkward at first since it's not a graphical interface, but
after a few times, it's easy. You can also open up Telnet in Netscape by
typing telnet://"domainname".xxx in the URL box if Telnet has been set
up as an application in Netscape's preferences.

You may need to check with your ISP to see if they support a free UNIX
shell account with your basic account. Some have special instructions on
how to Telnet in. If you use an account from work, you should be able to
Telnet into it also - check with your sys admin.

Although it's not free, the advantage is that you don't have to support
ISPs like Hotmail that have an abundance of spam and lax control over
abusive members.
- --
Ron Katona