RE: <all> other models of BMW

"Perry Shang" <scsi_one@domain.elided> wrote:
>OK, James.  here is the story on the strange BMWs in Taiwan.  the 728i
>they have it in Europe, too.  Just not US.  All it has is a M52 B28
>engine inside.  Very Very Slow and 728i doesn't offer the extended cabin
>(no 728iL).
>     520i is a new six cylinder of 2.0 liter engine.  The old E34 had
>520i, too.  but it is a 4 cylinder model.

As far as I know, there wasn't a 2.0l I4 for many, many years.

> the six cylinder engine is
>much faster and easy to modify, too.  The cops 520i and E180 (the new E
>Class) are highly modified.  They top out around 150 MPH.  (the cops
>used to have Alfa Romeo, guess they all broke down.)

Why would they modifiy a 520i if there is a 523i and 528i?
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to take these?

>     Finally, the M325is M318is.  People in Taiwan are obseesed with M
>stuff.  Most of the cars just have M emblem.  Others have just M Technik
>Bodykit nothing more.

You see many of these here too. Most only upgrade to a M-steering
whell and put the M-label on. Also very common here are cars without
any labeling/badges. I removed the 328i-badge on mine too. Since
only 6% of all E36's were sold as 325i/328i you often can surprise
others by having more power available than he thougt.

>     About the 325iSE or anything iSE.  it stands for Special Edition.
>The importor of Taiwan imports these cars with exclusive packages.  What
>is this exclusive packages I have no idea.  (didn't ask the sales.)
>     You can see the L7 in the dealership in Taipei.  They have one, I
>drove it and ride it.  It rocks.  too bad it is too expensive.

I can only speak for Germany, but these are the cars currently
available here (as far as I know):
E36:
- - M3 (3.2l I6, 321hp, production stops next year)
E36 compact:
- - 316ti (1.8l I4, 105hp)
- - 318ti (1.8l I4, 140hp)
- - 323ti (2.5l I6, 170hp)
E46:
- - 316i (1.9l I4, ~105hp)
- - 318i (1.9l I4, 118hp, smoother and quieter than the old one)
- - 320i (2.0l I6, 150hp)
- - 320d (2.0l I4 Turbo Diesel, 136hp, lots of torque above 1800rpm)
- - 323i (2.5l I6, 170hp)
- - 328i (2.8l I6, 193hp)
- - M3 (3.4l? I6, 350hp, coming spring 2000)
- - 330i (3.0l I6, 220hp, coming 2000)
coming 1999: touring body (hatchback), coupe
coming 2000: cabriolet
coming 2002: compact
E39:
- - 520i (2.0l I6, 150hp)
- - 523i (2.5l I6, 170hp)
- - 528i (2.8l I6, 193hp)
- - 530d (3.0l I6 Turbo Diesel, 184hp, as much torque as the 4.4l V8)
- - 530i (3.5l V8: don't know if still in production, replacement 3l I6?)
- - 540i (4.4l V8, 286hp)
- - M5 (5.0l V8, 400hp, coming 1999)
all available as touring (M5 may be an exception, don't know)
7-series (don't know the E-code):
- - 728i (2.8l I6, 193hp)
- - 730d (3.0l I6 Turbo Diesel, 184hp)
- - 730i (3.5l V8: don't know if still in production, replacement 3l I6?)
- - 740i (4.4l V8, 286hp)
- - 750i (5.0l V12, 300hp)
some also available as "L"-version = streched by a few centimeter
8-series (production will be stopped soon):
- - 840i (4.4l V8, 286hp)
- - 850i (5.0l V12, 300hp)
- - 850CSi (5.4l? V12, 380hp, production stopped)

Bye and Merry Christmas! (Won't be able to access email until 10.01.99)

Peter Zangl
p-zangl@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #735