<E39> Sport + Snow?

Hi, all.  I'm thinking about maybe possibly (tentative enough?) getting a new
E39 with the Sport package.  I have a '97 528i 5-speed.  With the traction
control, and the mild winters we've had in New England, I've been fine.  At
this point, I have 4 Pirelli P4000s (M+S rated) on the car, with about 5k
miles on them.  Last year, the OE Contis did just fine.

If I end up with another E39 with the Sport suspension (40-series tires!),
what do I do for snows?  I presume that the standard tires are AWFUL in snow.
What have any of you folks done?  Are 40-series snows viable?

TIA for your advice!!

=> Mitch (aubergine '97 E39 528i, nav, DSP, shades, etc.)
<hoping to take advantage of the BMW CCA "owner loyalty program"!!>