<E36>M3 Magic Mile point & Tire Q's

Hi All:

Well, it seems that my beloved 98 M3/4 with about 13.3K on the clock has
reached that magic mile point where things start breaking. This time, the
airbag indicator has chosen to illuminate itself and not go off. I've
scheduled an appointment at the stealer, but was wondering if there was
something "easy" I could do to eliminate the problem and not have to wait a
week. (Oh, the joys of being in the Bay Area. Hey, I could take it to
Stevens Creek BMW and wait a month!)

Anyhoo, I remember reading that the main cause for this steady illumination
is the seatbelt latch and they get cranky over time. Thinking that a
connection might have come loose, I twisted myself under the seat and could
find anything "bad". Can anyone suggest anything else to try? Does the
system have a "memory" that keeps that damn light on even though the
problem went away? Will removing the fuse to the airbag system clear this
error?

Also, I was pondering tire rotation the other day. Since I have different
sized wheels in the front/back, should I do a tire rotation from the left
to right? The tire wear appears somewhat even for the front/back setup. Do
I just drive 'em till they need replacing. Do they typically wear even.
(Sorry if this is a bonehead question, but I'm new to rear-drive cars since
I grew-up with souped-up H20 VWs all my driving life.)

Any info is appreciated,

Ed

- --
Ed Wodzienski (E3)
'98 M3/4 via Euro Del w/Euro Headlights (Waiting to be sharked)
'90 Ninja ZX-7