Re; OBC and headlights

Daniel Wang writes:

> I recently installed HID's on my E36 M3.  Now i have a problem.  The OBC
> tells me "Low Beam Failure."  I know the lights are working, but my guess
> is that the OBC is set to sense a particluar resistance.  The stock bulbs
> in the Euro headlights are 55W.  I know that the HID's are something like
> 35W (approx).  I would like to add a pass circuit to the lights and the
> obc.  Can anyone confirm my theory about the resistance specs.  Any
> assistance is greatly appreciated.  Hmmm... Im wondering if the OBC can be
> reprogrammed or is it too much hassle?

Well your figures are correct regarding wattage - BUT, if you have true
HID's the low beam wiring that was connected to the original 55 watt
bulbs is no longer connected to a bulb, but rather to the ballast
control unit that, in turn, powers the HID bulb.

It does "consume" about 35 watts when operating, but that is not your
issue.

It would appear that your aftermarket ballast units present a resistance
that is outside the expected range and that triggers your check control
to issue the fault.

I know of someone who got HID's from BMW and added them to their car -
no modifications to the check control - so it is possible.

You "might" be able to some how mimic the resistance supplied by the
original bulbs, but personally I would  go back to the person that sold
the aftermarket units and tell them you want them to actually work
properly - Assuming they were sold as "compatible" with your E36 - they
should be so, including working with the check control.

Otherwise ask for you money back - it is an "incomplete product".

Cheers

Jim Cash

End of bmw-digest V9 #733