cold weather oil question

Digestions,

Since it is the season of the bong, as in the OBC temperature bong, it
is time to change the oil from summer-weight to winter-weight.  I use
Mobil 1 15w-50 in the summer, and have used 10w-30 in the past in the
winter.  Yesterday I went to pick up my winter oil, and noticed Mobil 1
now has 5w-30 and 0w-30.  I guess the 5w-30 has been out a couple of
years, but the 0w-30 has only been out a couple of months.  I went with
the 5w-30, perhaps in the hope that it won't get cold enough in Chicago
this winter where I will wish I had the 0w-30.

First impressions would lead me to believe that the 0w-30 would be the
way to go, but how much does the quality of the oil suffer the greater
the gap in the range of weights?  Is the 10w-30 a "better" oil than the
0w-30, just because there is less of a range in oil weight?

///Michael
88 M3