Re: bmw-digest V9 #727 bleeder tools

In a message dated 12/20/98 01:59:11 Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 01:46:53 -0800
 From: "Louis" <louis@domain.elided>
 Subject: Brake Bleeding Tools

 Original Message:

 Subject: Imparts brake bleeder tool

 Hi folks,

 Is that imparts brake bleed tool worth a crap?  It's the hand held vacuum
 pump kind.  Anyone have experience with this thing.  is it at least better
 than the pedal method.- hell, it's only 59 bucks

 Thanks
 Robbie Kollar
 Knoxville, TN Smoky Mtn Chapter
 95   ///M3
 I didn't have much luck with the Imparts vacuum pump bleeder.  If I opened
 the bleeder screw enough for the fluid to flow the air would leak around the
 threads.  As a result it wouldn't create much of a vacuum.  I then purchased
 the pressure bleed-style cap from Steve D'Gerolamo's "The Ultimate Garage."
 A work of art.  With the pressure system, just open the bleed screw and
 watch the fluid flow until you've accomplished your goal then tighten the
 screw.  The only negative is the need to refill the master cylinder after
 doing each wheel (especially if you're flushing the hydraulic system).  But
 all-in-all, couldn't be easier.

 Louis

I bought the Imparts model many years ago.  It does work if you are careful to
use the right size "rubber" fittings (included) on the bleeder nipple.  The
handle of the unit is not very ergonomic and will annoy you if you have to do
a lot of pumping.  The main thing to consider is that this model kit is set up
to be used for all kinds of vacuum gage testing work, not only brake bleeding.
I would buy it if you will use it for engine/controls lines vacuum checking
and such in addition to brake bleeding.  If you want only a brake bleeder, you
can make or buy a pressure bleeder that will probably be easier to use.  Chas
'83 633CSi
'85 528e
'88 735i
BMWCCA #44835