Re: <E36> Annoying steering wheel noise

Try removing the steering wheel and "filing/sanding" the steering column
where it mates with the steering wheel.  I've seen on my car and on my
US made vehicles have very little clearance between the wheel and column.
The noise/squeaking is especially pronounced in cold weather when the
clearance gets even less.

Norm

"Douglas P. Holcomb" wrote:

> I had the same problem on a recurring basis in my '93 325i, starting by the end
> of its first year.  Several trips back to dealer to fix.  Their "solution"  was
> to grease the slip ring (the "something behind the wheel" in the original
> post).  The first two times they did this, the squeak re-appeared within a
> year.  The last time, it stayed quiet for 2.5 years, but it has just started
> squeaking again.  They used a different grease (copper-based) this last time.
>  It held up longer than the previous greases so seems the way to go.  (Why this
> seems to be necessary  as periodic maintenance is a whole different thing.)
>
> Doug Holcomb
> '93 325i (mostly)
>
> >Over the past fews day my steering wheel on my 1993 318is has
> >developed a very annoying squeeking noise whenever I turn corners.
> >From time to time,I can even hear the noise when I go over bumps!
> >The dealership said I have to take off the steering wheels and grease
> >the something behind the wheel (but he didn;t recommend I do it myself
> >since I have airbags)?!?  Could anyone please give me some advice on
> >solving this problem?

- --
***  Remove "nospam-" from address when responding via email  ***