RE: E30 Left half of the cluster is dark.

  Jon writes:
>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:50:09 -0800
>From: Jon Bliese <jonemw@domain.elided>
>Subject: <e30>
>
>To the e30 collective:
>I have a 91 318is- my daughter drives it mostly. Recently the left half
>of the instrument cluster went dark. But only the night illumination and
>only the left half.
>All instruments work, even the si indicator lites. Tach, speedo, and
>trouble/turn indicators are all functional. Only the left half
>backlighting.
>My question is how many bulbs are back there??

   There are 2 bulbs (12volts  3w, each one) One is on the left side and
    carries the light to the left side of the instrument cluster using a kind
    of net of orange plastic that works as a light- guide. On the right side there is
    another bulb and the  same process.

I know the chances of the
>bulbs burning out together are slimm or none ,

   Not in this case :-). I'm absolutely sure that your left bulb is burnt out.

but I would like to buy
>some to be ready when I pull the cluster. I assume it must be some
>common connector or trace carrying power to that circuit on that side of
>the cluster.
     In this case, your are lucky. To replace the LEFT  bulb, you don't need
     to pull out the instrument cluster (not so with the Right bulb) There is an
      easier way: remove the "plastic" cover that is under the dashboard and
      over the pedals. The cover is attached to the lower part of the dashboard
      with 3 plastic screws and to the steering column with another more. Turn
      those screws 90 degrees and pop them out. Once the cover is out, take a
      lantern and get your head under the dashboard. You will see a lot of black/gray
      things there, which are the bulbs connectors. The biggest one is the one you
       must replace. It's located very near a white (probably) connector that has
       many wires. To pop the bulb out, just turn it 90 degrees (on the right or on the left,
      it depends on what you find easier). The bulb comes out together with the connector.
      If you have big or fat hands call someone who don't, there is little room there and
       the ABS control unit disturbs a little...

>Anyone seen this before?
>Tia
>Jon Bliese

Hope this helps