re: Convertible Safety in Driving Schools

Jerry Miller wrote:
>So I bought my 88 325iC, loved driving my first BMW, started hearing how
>much fun driving schools were, and got an application for an upcoming event
>in California.  Then I see that convertibles need: 1)five-point seatbelts,
>2) fixed rollbars, 3) arm-restraints  -- be in a driving school.  Suddenly
>it ain't just $300 for the school.  I need more equipment.

I almost missed this important question for all the loud music from the
lousy stereo systems that Digesters have. (Can you fit a Crown DC300A in an
Isetta?)

John Bolhuis, Dave Nichols and others' comments are good and to the point.
If you want to take a chance with your own safety in your car, that's your
choice.  The responsibility of the Club to our instructors and students is
our issue.  There are two sides to this topic (at least) but a good
solution is the dedicated track-bomb car.  I think all driving schools for
novices could be run in 1600s with 165/80 tires and more would be learned
by the student. That being said, I do understand the importance and
attraction of doing a school in your own daily driver.  It's a tough call
but I would always choose to error in favor of protection for participants
and instructors.

However, with BMW producing tantalizing open cars complete with cosmetic
roll-over protection that are being bought by the boat-load by CCA members,
the issue is important and timely.  The BMWCCA Driving Events Conference
scheduled for January will address this topic in a forum of chapter
officers and those responsible for driving events.  The Club is going to
great expense to get these people together and if you have issues with Club
driving events, be sure to make them known to your chapter and their
representative in advance of this conference.

- -Phil Marx    BMWCCA #6021
 Executive Vice President
 BMW Car Club of America, Inc.