Helmets, S vs M

A Snell SA-rated helmet has a nomex liner and is required for SCCA =
racing.
An S-rated helmet is Snell-approved, but without the nomex.=A0 I don't =
know
about your area, but in mine (New England), S-rated helmets are =
required for
BMW CCA drivers' schools and most non-BMW CCA similar events.=A0 Most =
allow an
S-90 for at least next year, but an S-95 should be available which will =
get
you through 2004. They start around $200 and go up to well over $600 =
for
light-weight kevlar.
=A0
I don't know for sure, but I suspect an M-type helmet has a much less
stringent quality spec and is considered suitable to get by motorcycle
helmet laws in some states. M-type is not suitable for much else. =
They're
one small step (maybe) above a bicycle helmet.=20
=A0
If you want to take the car to the track and ride a motorcycle, too, =
buy the
best you can afford, and at least a Snell S-95 if not an SA-95. Even if
you're driving a hardtop, I suggest a full-face helmet, and certainly =
for a
motorcycle. There's not much difference in visibility, and some models =
are
better than others.=A0 Ventilation is also a variable. But full-face is
worthwhile. I've seen open-face helmets with a bubble face-guard get =
ground
right through the bubble by the asphalt. Think about your face, then =
decide.
Besides, maybe you'll get hooked on the track and get into open-wheel
formula cars.
=A0
By the way, the fit is critical to their effectiveness, so try it =
on.=A0 It
needs to be quite snug without being uncomfortable.=A0 If it's too =
tight,
you'll hate it after a half hour and it will detract greatly from your =
track
enjoyment. Sizing amongst manufacturers does not seem to be =
consistent.=A0 I
wear a 7 1/4 hat, but had to buy a 7 5/8 Simpson helmet to get it on, =
then
get the cheek pads replaced with 1/2 thickness pads to keep from having =
my
face in a permanent pucker.=A0=A0 Even then, it's tight in the lower =
face area
and slightly loose at the top, and my head shape isn't the least bit
abnormal.=A0 Not a good fit.=A0 I learned the hard way. I tried on five =
or six
models, unfortunately AFTER buying mine, and all fit differently in =
some
unique way. Go to a shop with lots of choices, not two or three.