1995 740i braking noise/oil every 5000 mi?/Love affair with BMW

I hear a shuddering/ low pitched rubbing noise upon braking, and the
Excluservice said that there's nothing wrong unless the brake light comes
on (indicating I need new pads and rotors turned I suppose).  When I
brought the car in to be "preinspected" 3 months ago, they said I'll need
brake pads and new rotors in about 6 months, and it was possible it
wouldn't pass Maryland Inspection.  It did pass, but now I'm wondering if
this noise is something god awful ($$$$"S) happening in the brakes (they
also squeal alot) or if this low pitched shuddering noise is just normal?
Anyone had this noise appear?

Also, the repair place said I don't change the oil until every 5000 miles
goes by... I've always done the 3000 mile mark in other cars.  Is 5000
miles OK between oil changes on a 95 740i?

Thanks, BTW, the National Capitol Chapter license plates guy David Lassalle
sent me a letter and the BMWCCA plate are on the way!!!  Yahoo.  I told
this to my Audi A4 driving buddy, and he was so unimpressed with my
excitement, saying, "I'm not really into my car that much".  I asked him if
he's checked out if there is an Audi digest or a club, and he echoed, "I
don't really care about that stuff for my car".  I got to thinking about it
and thought, that front wheel driver he has doesn't really have the
interesting heritage that the BMW's enjoy.  My first car was a green 1974
2002 right out of college and I lusted over that car for a year as I rode
my bicycle past it each day, then one day it went for sale and I scooped it
up and repainted it burgundy metallic - a BEAUT.  Years later, I flew to
Tennessee to buy a Dark Blue/ Gold BBS Wheels/ Beige Interior 535is
advetised in the back of an Autoweek magazine that was PERECT!  It had
never seen snow or rain and was detailed every week.  Then I had a 1991
Black/Black M5 for a short period which was a blast, and now the 740i.
It's a long history and love affair with BMW (even if the sound systems
sort of suck - I didn't get DSP in mine - boo hoo!) and I'll be psyched
when the BMWCCA license plate comes.  Yehawwwww.

Steve Robinson  Silver Spring MD
1995 740i  (BMW Car Club license plate on the way)
1988 911 Carrera