e36 m3 1995 cold start surging

For those of you who enjoy a good automotive mystery:

My 318 with 95 m3 drivetrain has gone from stating perfectly every
time to doing something really weird.
CLUE #1
When everything is fine, I will turn the key, hear a buzzing sound
under the hood, and have the engine start very quickly.

When things are weird, I will turn the key, hear no buzzing sound, and
have to crank the engine 2 or 3 times for about 15 seconds to get it
started. Then
the idle surges from 1 to 3k for about 1 minute.
CLUE #2
This never happens after I start the car with the engine warm. It only
happens ( and not all the time) after the car has been parked
overnight, parked for a few hours on a cold day, or after a successful
cold start and a short drive to get more Rolling Rock. In N Cal. it
hasn't gotten below freezing yet so I hope it won't get worse as the
temperature drops.

Performance, and fuel economy continue to be good.

Please let me know what you think. I will post results when I get to
the bottom of this.

Thank you

John Pease
74 Tii
84 318 with weird 95 m3 drivetrain and no $%#$^^ AC
82 toyota PU