E34 - did they change the autotrannies midway thru? '91?

Grant Chow wrote:
>I recall a long time ago some thread about how they changed the E-34
>automatics around the 91 or 92 model yr.  Can someone recall what the
>production dates were that had the new auto trannies?  Thanks!

Not sure what you mean but with the introduction of the M50 engine in the
525i in 1991, BMW introduced the electronic controlled GM-Salzburg 4speed
automatic
(THM R1) which replaced the ZF 4 HP 22N, and all E34 auto tranny selector
boxes became illuminated with Sport mode selected by the shift lever.
There were also changes to the transmission in the 535i claiming "shift
characteristics improved for better accelleraton response".  This included
recalibration for quicker downshifts on accellerations and a shorter final
drive (4.27:1 vs. 3.91:1).

You're not referring to the mid-year changes in the 5sp auto box in the
530i in 1994, are you?

- -Phil Marx