RE: BMW Sound Systems and Stink [LONG]

Ok, I have to get into this one. I have been into car electronic
equipment (notice I didn't say radios, because this narrows the subject
too much) for an extended period and have done a lot of investigating of
the market and the issues. Right of the start I'll admit that I am a
techno freak, so naturally I like cool electronic toys in general, and
cool electronic car toys in particular. Over time I believe I have
developed an opinion which is relatively balanced, unbiased and meets
the "reasonable" and "sensible" criterias. I too have struggled with the
question of what to do with the sound system in my 96' 328is ever since
I first conceived of acquiring the car. I have listened to all possible
configurations (i.e. the standard sound system, "premium" Harman Kardon
sound etc.) I am also a regular guest at my local BMW dealer, who by the
way I would recommend highly - it's BMW of Fairfax in VA, and I
frequently take different cars for rides, and check out their equipment,
including sound systems, NAV etc.

I think it's an undisputable fact that sound systems installed by car
manufacturers in their cars are on average highly inferior relative to
any decent aftermarket sound systems. I am yet to figure out why the car
manufacturers insist on sticking the crap into otherwise perfectly good
automobiles. BMW in particular seems to be lacking the this department.
Mercedes's Bose sound systems sound 10 times better the BMW's. I would
tend to agree that Honda's sound systems also sound between "better" and
"a lot better" than BMW sound. The crapiness in the BMW sound systems is
this much more noticable because Bimmers are otherwise awesome cars and
it's a shame that you can't get a decent radio with one. Even worse, in
the latest incarnation of the cars, BMW changed the standard radio size
to something absolutely weird and unique to BMW, which only makes it so
much more difficult to install a decent sounding electronic set up in
the car. The so called "premium sound" packages offered on BMW's are an
absolutely unbelivable rip off when one takes even a 5 minute look at
what's available at Myer Emco, Circuit City or any other store/company
selling car stereo stuff. The "premium" package offered with the 3
series for $675,- is not as bad as the stuff sold for ~$1500 with the 5
and 7 series. For ~$1500,- bucks you can have any of the stores
mentioned above install a sound system which will knock your socks off!
It will sound incomparably better and have a lot more features (like a
remote control etc.). The BMW sound system and their prices for changers
etc. are about as good of a deal as buying a car for MSRP or more. IOW,
yes you can do it, and more power to you if you do, but the concious
rest of the world will never understand why... But then again, on the
bright side, the dealer will love you!

What I ended up doing with my 328is and HK sound, was to immediately
throw out the "radio" which was a total disgrace, and replace it with an
Alpine 7832 CD (~$600,-) receiver with 4x35W power amp built in. This
was wired throungh the existing HK amp by my installer. Just this single
change made a huge difference. So much so that even though I planned on
adding a sub amp with two 10" subs, and a 4 channel high/mid amp, and
possibly replacement of all speakers in the car, I did nothing of the
sort. The only upgrade was the new head unit. I have been driving with
that for the past three years very happy for the most part. Given that
the whole operation cost me $650,- rather than ~$2000,- I was going to
drop on the elaborate set up. Bass is a bit flat and some times the
speakers get overdriven (there just is no replacement for a sub), but
highs and mids are very decent.

Anyway, enough of that. If anybody read all the way through they are
either as passionate about the subject as I am, or just plain hate me
for this WOB. To the latter group I plead mercy... :)

Chris Sawwa,
ICF Informataion Technology Inc.

96' E36 328is Montreal Blue, Sport Pkg, HK "sound" system with Alpine
spirit.