RE: BMW Radios Stink

Steve Wrote - " Just bought my fourth BMW since 1985, and they all have had
one thing in common.  The sound systems STINK.  Virtually any rental car I've
been in has a better sounding radio than my new 540i.  A Taurus' is better,
and a Maxima (with the Bose system) ia in another league entirely.  I'm 52 and
don't do all that much listening anymore;  but when I do I expect more than
constricted mids, papery highs, and a
total absence of lows.  Does anyone here have experience with what might work?
At first, I'd be looking to spend a few hundred bucks, primarily to sweeten
the highs and to add two octaves down low.  I'd rather not go the Bazooka
route, as I did in my E36. Anyway, I don't have the fold-down seats and I
imagine it will be quite a trick to get a subwoofer to work effectively.
Lastly, since the car is leased, I can't really do any major cutting. Your
advice is really appreciated."

I can only add, Hear!  Hear!  (or is it Here, Here?) In reading the digest for
the past year or more, a common complaint with the E39 has been its sound
system.  Even the $1,000 option for a Premium Sound System stinks - I know I
have it.  With all the postings asking for help, I cannot recall seeing a
reply offering a solution.  Would be nice to see some ideas.  I cannot
understand why BMW puts such a horrible sound system in a car such as the E39
which is a very, very quiet car.  I personally find the Premium Sound System
in my 528i detracts from driving pleasure.  BMW NA said they were sorry with
my disappointment and suggested I visit the dealer to ensure I am operating
the radio properly.  Gads!!!!

Barnie Barnick
1997 528i