E12: Won't Start

I've got an '80 528i that I'm trying to get running. The engine turns
over just fine, is apparently getting fuel because the plugs are wet and
is getting some kind of spark as the motor sputtered on starting fluid.
We believe that the timing is off and that the spark is just not
happening at the right time. The little sensor on the crankshaft pulley
is not connected to anything and I do not know where it goes. The plug
is round with about 3 holes in it for pins. I've ordered a Bentley
manual on the stystem but was hoping for some help in the mean time as
I'm eager to get the car running.

Thanks,

Link Moser
'86 528e