Re: UUC Motorwerks / ads

Some dude wrote:

> I got a question for everybody here in Digest land.  Why is it that >
the UUC Shortshifter guys can advertise here on the digest, and yet >
nobody else can?

But at www.digest.net/bmw/ Richard Welty says:

> No Free Business Advertising. Advertising for personal items is
> permitted; however, people who seem to advertise rather a lot
> may find themselves declared to be businesses for purposes of this
> mailing list.
>
> Businesses wishing to post short, tasteful ads to the Digest may do
> so by arrangement with the Digest Coordinator, Richard Welty.
> The advertising rate basis is $0.10 per email address on the list
> per ad. Membership as of 27 November 1996 is 3100, giving a cost of
> $310.00 for a one time advertisement.

Funny, Richard's website does not mention anything about USEFUL CONTENT,
or how much free advice a business must pass out to get free
advertising. Obviously, there are a set of unwritten rules (read double
standard). Let me attempt to write down some of these heretofore
unwritten rules, just so we're all clear:

1. If you're a bubba, you can post _anything_ you want to the digest.

2. If you run a business you must pay to advertise on the digest, unless
rule 1 applies.

3. If you're bubba Duane, you are permitted to post to the digest
without putting in any USEFUL CONTENT, and you're also allowed to
simultaneously criticize others for lack of USEFUL CONTENT. Also see
rule 1.

4. If you're not quite a bubba, but you run a BMW-oriented business and
thinly disguise your digest advertising with USEFUL CONTENT, you may
occasionally place those subtle advertisements on the digest. Behave in
this way and you'll soon be nominated to the order of the bubba.

5. If you're not at all close to a bubbadom, you must follow the rules
stated on the website, and rule 1 above does not apply to you. By the
way, you can't apply for bubbadom, and if you do, you'll immediately be
chastised and banished by any of a number of true bubbas. Bubbadom is by
invitation only.

Now that we have that settled, let's move onto the oh so important
subject of "should I put snow chains on my $40,000 car and possibly do
thousands of dollars damage, or should I just get a winter beater with
tire chains in the trunk and 4 good snow tires on the road?"

BW