BMW Radios Stink!

Just bought my fourth BMW since 1985, and they all have had one thing
in common.  The sound systems STINK.  Virtually any rental car I've
been in has a better sounding radio than my new 540i.  A Taurus' is
better, and a Maxima (with the Bose system) ia in another league
entirely.  I'm 52 and don't do all that much listening anymore;  but
when I do I expect more than constricted mids, papery highs, and a
total absence of lows.
Does anyone here have experience with what might work? At first, I'd
be looking to spend a few hundred bucks, primarily to sweeten the
highs and to add two octaves down low.  I'd rather not go the Bazooka
route, as I did in my E36. Anyway, I don't have the fold-down seats
and I imagine it will be quite a trick to get a subwoofer to work
effectively.  Lastly, since the car is leased, I can't really do any
major cutting.
Your advice is really appreciated.

Steve Foster ( '99 540i with '48 Impala sound)