reply: 2002 smoke

>Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:45:48 -0500
>From: "Christopher Fowler" <cfowler@domain.elided>
>Subject: 73 2002 Blue smoke

>I've got a 1973 2002 that on gear changes I get >some blue smoke coming out
>of tail pipe.  I also see this if I am driving at high >speeds on
interstate
>and then lay off the gas and slow down.  I see more >smoke during my
>interstate drives.  I thinking rings but it coule be >more?  What do you
guys
>think?

>Thanks,
>Chris

I hope this goes through with HTML off and plain text on!

When you take your foot off the gas, the cylinder vacuum draws oil through
the valve guides. The blue smoke you see while cruising is caused by oil
getting past the rings. I'll bet the oil consumption is just south of 1000
miles per quart and cylinder compression is about 110 psi.

Its time for a rebuild!

The good news is you don't have a leaking head gasket. When my 74 Tii died
at 168k, in addition to blue smoke, the head gasket failed and leaked water
into #1. The water caused crank lubrication failure resulting in a spun
connecting rod and a damaged crank journal. I should also mention the
resulting glopped up radiator. Dave Cruz had to spend a lot of time fixing
my engine.

John Pease
74 Tii
84 318 with 95 m3 drivetrain