RE: Tire Shipper

>I need to ship rims and tires...can anyone recommend a good method (ie;
>packaging) and a good carrier (ie; USPS or UPS) I heard horror stories
>about UPS.

>Philip Clark

Philip,

UPS is the way to go.  They have to work REALLY hard to tear up a set of
wheels and tires.  I've shipped many sets and never had a problem.  They
will also be the most cost effective way to ship, too.  Here's how I ship
them:

 Two per bundle.  Cut out (3) cardboard 'circles' (per 2-wheel bundle) the
size of the tire and make a sandwich out of them.  One piece on the bottom,
one in the middle, and one on top.  Then, get nylon strapping (tape does not
work well) and run two strips the circumference of the 2-wheel bundle and
swage them together.  When done you will have the straps making an "X".
Make sure you label each wheel in case they get separated.  The metal of the
wheel is protected and not even UPS can damage the rubber.

If you don't access to the nylon strapping, then any good packaging store
should have a kit.  Bundles weight about 65 - 70 lb each and will cost you
about $ 50 to ship set of four across country, insured.

Duane Collie