Broken throttles

Reading David Boyd's story about a broken clip on his throttle causing problems
reminded me of one.

I was driving a Triumph TR7 up in Ohio for a friend's wedding.  We were many
miles from the church but running on time when my engine suddenly dropped to an
idle.  I pulled off, popped the hood, and spotted the remnants of the broken
throttle cable.  Uh oh.

Looking around the trunk of the car and shoulder of the road I found a piece of
wire about 4 feet long.  I tied that to the throttle mechanism so that pulling
on it opened the throttle.  I routed it out through the louvers at the back of
the hood, grabbed it in my left hand and off we went.  He worked the gearshift
so I could keep a hand on the wheel and we actually made rather good time (had
to by now).

I had seen the cable fraying and had a spare in the trunk but alas TR7s don't
have tool kits nor did I have time.
- --
Pat Donahue CCA 125031
Vienna, VA
'91 M5 4GTFUL  <-- somebody make me an offer near $27k
'88 325is destined for ITS