Re: Whats the difference between the 318i and 318is?

Someone asked:
>>Is there any real difference between the afore mentioned vehicles?

I don't know that we ever figured our what models this guy was trying to
compare but in answering, others have added to the confusion.

John G.Burns wrote:
>E30 318iS 90/91 is different from an normal 2 door 318i because:
>
>	Four wheel disc brakes (drums on rear 318i)
>	M-Tech (wonderful) suspension
>	Very nice Recarro sports interior
>	16 valve M42 136bhp engine, wonderful
>	Small front and rear spoilers, tasteful
>	Less colour choice

Now perhaps here we have the difference between English and American
versions, but the US version M42 engined 318i/s was only available in Model
Year 1991 (came out as early as May '90 but were all '91s which later had
their warranty bumped up to '91 standards).  In '91, the 318i was a 4dr,
the 318is was a 2dr.  All US '91 318i/s had four wheel discs.  Granted, '84
and 85 did not.  Seats were never Recaro, they were BMW sport seats which
were standard in the  '91 318is, not available in the 318i.  Longer front
air dam lip and deck lid spoiler were standard on the 318is, not offered
from the factory for US 318i.  The engines were the same but the M-Tech
suspension was only available (std) on the "is".  '91 4dr came std with
steel wheels and plastic wheel covers, cross-spoke alloys (BBS-"style", not
manufacture) were standard on the "is".  Both 318i/s were only available in
Alpine White, Sterling Silver, Brilliant Red and the special Diamond Black
which was also offered for the M3.  Only cloth or vinyl (leatherette)
interiors were offered.

- -Phil Marx   BMWCCA #6021